Week 3 Recap: The Big Ten and myself had a rough week in. I went 2-8 in my picks after having a nice 7-4-1 record in Week 2. The Big Ten though, oofta. Let’s start with the good I guess, Ohio State destroyed Indiana and Nebraska’s offense finally got on track against Northern Illinois. I would also say that Northwestern had a good win but UNLV is complete trash and Northwestern’s offense does not look good. Maybe the biggest win of the weekend was Iowa winning at Iowa St. in a weather delayed game. It was a defensive affair and Iowa St. just made more mistakes than Iowa (see the punt return to end the end). I thought Iowa St. would come out on top but Iowa St. has a some serious problems on offense.
That’s where the good ends though. Penn State won but barley got by Pitt when they were favored by 17 points. Maryland who was scoring like 72 points game, lost 20-17 at Temple, Eastern Michigan beat Illinois at Illinois which is sad, Minnesota is barley winning games and they won another three point game over Georgia Southern who lost to LSU by 52, and TCU buried Purdue on the road. The most disappointing team though was Michigan St. who could only score 7 points and lost at home to Arizona St. I thought Michigan St. would fix its offense this year but the obviously haven’t and that was a bad loss for them.
Teams on Bye: Penn State, Maryland, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue
Connecticut Huskies (+27) @ Indiana Hoosiers (-27)
- 11:00 AM CST on BTN
- Let’s cut to the chase here quick, UCONN sucks. They got beat by Illinois at home after having a 13-0 lead. Illinois just got beat at home by Eastern Michigan. C’mon.
- Indiana is coming off an ass whooping by Ohio State, 51-10.
- Indiana has bowl aspirations so they really need this game with Big 10 play coming up the rest of the way.
- It’s crazy to see how bad UCONN has become with them going a 27 point dog to the Indiana Hoosiers.
- I’m gonna say Indiana covers this one. They’ll come back looking to get on track after getting embarrassed by Ohio State.
Michigan St. Spartans (-9) @ Northwestern Wildcats (+9)
- 11:00 AM CST on ABC
- This is a very odd line and it seems like a joke. How in the world can Michigan St. be 9 point favorites on the road after watching their offense the first three weeks.
- Northwestern is probably going to be the best defense they’ve played yet, and Michigan St. is going to be on the road.
- Northwestern’s offense is great either even with new QB Hunter Johnson. In fact Northwestern has the worst ranked offense in the Big 10.
- This should be a very low scoring game, somewhere in the teens I would guess. Well maybe one team gets to the teens.
- I wish this game was in late October or late November because that would make it even uglier and the Big 10 “why do people watching this kind of football” game of the year.
- You have to take Northwestern here unless you think Michigan St. scores at least once on defense. I’ll take the Wildcats to cover 9 points at home all day.
Boston College Eagles (-7) @ Rutgers Scarlet Knights (+7)
- 11:00 AM CST on BTN
- You would think this spread would be bigger but when you lose to fucking Kansas at home, you lose a ton of respect which is Boston College did last week.
- Rutgers had a bye week to get ready for B.C. so maybe they picked some things up from Kansas but remember, I know its a different year, but Rutgers go beat 55-14 by Kansas last year.
- I am not spending anymore time on this game, Boston College wins and covers after a brutal loss to Kansas.
Miami (OH) Redhawks (+39) @ Ohio State Buckeyes (-39)
- 2:30 PM CST on BTN
- Got a common opponent here! Miami lost to Cincinnati 35-13 while Ohio State beat them 42-0.
- Miami is a bad team.
- Ohio State has Nebraska next week at night, maybe they’ll finally get a challenge for a few quarters.
- Even Ohio State treats this as a look ahead game, they still cover the 39 points.
Nebraska Cornhuskers (-13) @ Illinois Fighting Illini (+13)
- 7:00 PM CST on BTN
- I’m very surprised this number isn’t bigger after what Nebraska did last week, and how bad Illinois was last week.
- Illinois barley escaped at UCONN and just lost to Eastern Michigan at home. Not good.
- Nebraska’s offense finally came to life against Northern Illinois and I think they keep that going on the road at Illinois.
- I love how this is the prime-time Big Ten game of the week. How do you not get Michigan St. and Northwestern in this slot. Nobody who isn’t a fan of these teams is going to watch this game unless Illinois is somehow keeping in close late.
- Spoiler Alert: Illinois won’t keep it close. Give me Nebraska to cover on the road before a big match-up at home against Ohio State.
Big Ten Record YTD: 9-12-1