The Big Ten went 12-1 in Week 2 including a couple of very good wins for the conference. Let’s not start with Ohio State, or Michigan, or Penn State, or Wisconsin, but with the Maryland Terrapins. Syracuse *had a good defense going into this game and Maryland put them in a body bag and put up 63 on them. Syracuse was supposed to be the second best team in the ACC and now, well they look like a joke.
Wisconsin, Indiana, and Ohio State all threw shutouts. Wisconsin has played two games and given up ZERO points. Penn State had a scare early but put away Buffalo 45-13, Michigan St. worse the worst jerseys every put on and beat Western Michigan 51-17. Purdue beat an SEC team in Vanderbilt 42-24, bouncing back from a bad loss to Nevada. Iowa blanked Rutgers in a Big Ten game. The other two big out comes were Michigan barley escaping Army at home in 2OT. We’ll have more on Michigan next week but my god do they need to stop fumbling the god damn ball, the offense looked like they regressed to last year, the WRs aren’t making plays, the DL is bad, I don’t know what else to say. Minnesota won a big game at Fresno State 38-35. Fresno State is a good team who know has lost to USC and Minnesota, big win for the Gophers. The lone loss for the Big Ten was Nebraska losing at Colorado, in a game where they blew a 17 point lead, but it was the most exciting game of the day arguably. Just an awesome 4th quarter to witness.
Let’s take a look at Week 3 in the Big Ten, remember if you don’t see a match-up here that’s because it is in the CFB Picks blog that looks at what I consider the biggest games of the week.
On Bye in Week 3: Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota,
#21 Maryland Terrapins (2-0) (-8) @ Temple Owls (1-0) (+8)
- 11:00 AM CST on CBS Sports
- Okay, Maryland is averaging 71 PPG and the 63 they put up on Syracuse made that average worse.
- Maryland is also giving up only 10 PPG. They shutout Howard and gave up 20 to the Orange.
- Not much to go off of for Temple, they had a bye week in Week 2 and in Week 1 beat Bucknell 56-12. Bucknell sucks.
- Temple went 8-4 last year and BEAT Maryland in Maryland 35-14. This is a revenge game for Maryland.
- Maryland also started off 2-0 last year before they lost to Temple. They’ll look to reverse that this year.
- Honestly after watching Maryland’s first two games how do you pick against them? 8 point spread, thats it?
- Maryland looks like a team that was held back by their previous coaching staff and new HC Michael Locksley is unlocking this team potential and has them ranked #21 in the country.
- I like Maryland to cover this game but it will be tougher than their last two. They do have to go on the road and Temple is a solid team but even as bad as Syracuse was last week, I’m not sure Temple is better than them. I’ll take Maryland to go 3-0 before a huge home game against Penn State next week.
- The Over/Under in this game is at 62.5. I would lean towards the Under.
Eastern Michigan Eagles (1-1) (+8) @ Illinois Fighting Illini (2-0) (-8)
- 11:00 AM CST on BTN
- Illinois did not look good against UCONN. First off, UCONN is trash and Illinois was down 13-0 at one point in the 2nd quarter so I guess that says something that Illinois was able to come back and win. They put up 24 points alone in the 2nd quarter.
- Eastern Michigan is not good either, and MAC teams are awful at covering games. Eastern Michigan got beat 38-17 last week at Kentucky.
- Illinois is better than past years and I think they win and cover this game against the Eagles.
- Lovie Smiths big white beard is fucking awesome, that alone gives Illinois 3 points every game.
- The Over/Under is at 56.5. I got no clue, give me the Under.
Pittsburgh Panthers (1-1) (+17) @ #13 Penn State Nittany Lions (2-0) (-17)
- 11:00 AM CST on ABC
- Penn State was actually down at half, at home, at night, agaisnt the Buffalo Bulls before they blew them out.
- However if you take a look at the box score Buffalo out gained Penn State and dominate time of possession. Buffalo ran 90 play for 429 yards and had the ball for 42:32. Penn State ran 46 plays for 357 yards and had the ball for 17:28.
- Penn State also ran the ball like shit, only 78 yards at 3.3 a clip.
- Pitt is 1–1 after beating Ohio last week and losing to Virginia in Week 1.
- QB Kenny Pickett threw for 321 YDS which is how Pitt will need to win games this year.
- Pitt held Ohio to 35 rushing yards thanks for -43 from Rourke (sacks).
- Lets just be honest here, Pitt is not that good but Penn State didn’t exactly blow me away.
- I’ll still say Penn State finds a way to cover this game, and it helps this game is being played in Beaver Stadium. Rivalry game but doesn’t matter to me, Pitt just doesn’t have the horses this year.
- Over/under is at 48.5. I like the Over in this game with Penn State getting 30+ points.
Georgia Southern Eagles (1-1) (+15.5) @ Minnesota Golden Gophers (2-0) (-15.5)
- 2:30 PM CST on BTN
- This will be quick, Georgia Southern got blown out by LSU and then beat Maine. Congrats.
- Minnesota looked shaky in Week 1 but I really like their win on the road against Fresno State last week.
- Minnesota covers this game easily before a big match-up at Purdue next week.
- Over/Under is at 49.5. I like the Over with Minnesota scoring a ton of points.
UNLV Rebels (1-1) (+20) @ Northwestern Wildcats (0-1) (-20)
- 2:30 PM CST on BTN
- NW had a bye week after losing in Week 1 at Stanford.
- UNLV has beat Southern Utah (COOL), and then lost bad to Arkansas State 43-17.
- UNLV very bad and that shows because they are god damn 20 point underdogs to a NW team that scored 7 points in their one and only game.
- NW played two QBs against Stanford and neither looked good at all, but that should all change with UNLV back in town.
- I say both QBs look good and score some TDs.
- I’ll take NW to cover before a big home game against Michigan St. next week.
- Over/Under is at 54.5. Under all day for me.
TCU Horned Frogs (1-0) (+2) Purdue Boilermakers (1-1) (-2)
- 6:30 PM CST on BTN
- Purdue has quite the non-conference schedule. First on the road at Nevada (don’t tell Purdue but Nevada just lost by 71 to Oregon), then at home against the SEC, and now they welcome a very solid TCU team into Lafayette.
- I kinda wish this game was on ESPN or FOX or ABC so people can see Rondale Moore play. He is the most exciting player in CFB.
- Moore had 13 receptions for 220 YDS and 1 TD. Just a god damn stud.
- Purdue needs to run the ball better though because they only had 34 YDS on the ground, compared to 509 through the air.
- TCU didn’t play anybody in their one game so can’t take away much for them.
- TCU was a team expected to improve from last year in the Big 12 and their usually one team in the Big 12 that at least tries to put out a decent defense.
- This game is going to tell us a ton about both teams.
- I’ll take Purdue at home to come out on top, I think QB Elijah Sindelar and WR Rondale Moore prove to just be too much for the TCU defense.
- The Over/Under is at 55 at I like the Over. Purdue’s defense isn’t going to stop anybody.
North Illinois Huskies (1-1) (+14) @ Nebraska Cornhuskers (1-1) (-14)
- 7:00 PM CST on FS1
- Is Nebraska the most disappointing team in the B1G so far along with Michigan?
- First off they played poorly against South Alabama and then they blew a 17 point lead on the road at Colorado.
- If anything, the offense looked better for Nebraska at lease in Boulder.
- Northern Illinois, not good. MAC team, won’t cover.
- Nebraska finally gets on track and blows the Huskies out here.
- The Over/Under is at 52.5. I’ll take the Over in this one. Night game, at home, everything’s a little tense, and Scott Frost will get this offense humming before Big Ten play opens up against Illinois.