Cincinnati Bearcats (+16.5) @ Ohio State Buckeyes (-16.5)
- 11:00 AM CST on ABC
- This one is on the list because Cincinnati isn’t a push over team and they went 11-2 lat year, plus Luke Fickell used to coach at Ohio State.
- Cincinnati took down UCLA at home in their Week 1 Game 24-14. Although it was 10 point game the Bearcats got a good break on fumble call at the end of the game, and UCLA just pissed away the game with their own mistakes.
- Ohio St. didn’t have much of a problem with FAU in Week 1. They won 45-21 but in the 2nd half of that game, FAU really brought it to Ohio State.
- Cincinnati’s OL struggled last week just blocking in general, and they had a lot of penalties. Ohio State does have a very good defense line that could really exploit that weakness.
- Justin Fields had a very good opening day for Ohio State passing and running. Cinci has a great run defense but a bad pass defense. We’ll see more of Fields throwing ability on Saturday.
- Speaking of running the ball, JK Dobbins only had 91 yards on 21 carries. He might be in for a long day again against the Bearcats.
- Cinci will also have to run the ball much better than they did last week if they want to pull the upset. RB Michael Warren II only had 91 yards on 26 carries against UCLA. Ohio St.s DL is much better, as we’ve stated before.
- To me this game comes down to who can throw the ball better, and which defense might force some turnovers.
- I like Ohio St. to come out on top, but I’m going to say Cinci covers this game at 16.5
Texas A&M (+17.5) @ Clemson Tigers (-17.5)
- 2:30 PM CST on ABC
- Clemson rolled against Georgia Tech in Week 1 but QB Trevor Lawrence was a little shaky going 13 for 23 168 YDS, 1 TD and 2 INT.
- RB Travis Etienne was a stud however, 12 carries for 206 YDS and 3 TDs.
- Texas A&M won 41-7 over Texas St. in Week 1. QB Kellen Mond had a good going 19 for 27, 194 YDS, 3 TDs, 1 INT and he also ran for another TD.
- In last years game, Trevor Lawrence only played like 10 snaps, Travis Etienne only had 8 carries, and Justyn Ross didn’t play at all. Spoiler: all those guys are playing the full game this week.
- Kellen Mond kept A&M in the game last year by throwing for 430 YDs and 3 TDs. A&M ended up losing 28-26 but the game was 28-13 going into the 4th quarter where the A&M defense stepped up and stopped Clemson.
- This year, Clemson has lost all those guys from the DL that went to the NFL. The part that should be better for Clemson is their secondary.
- Having said that, don’t expect Mond to throw for over 400 yards again. A&M may need to find scoring through their ground game which will also keep Clemsons explosive offense off the field.
- On the defensive side of the ball for A&M, its hard to believe Lawrence is going to play so poorly again. Plus, they’ll not only have to try and stop Tee Higgins, but they need to deal with Justyn Ross.
- Then A&M has the problem of trying to stop Travis Etienne, who is Clemsons best weapon.
- I see this game going 1 of 2 ways. An absolute blowout win for Clemson, or a very close win for Clemson.
- I’m going with the latter. I think A&M keeps this game close but ultimately loses.
LSU Tigers (-5.5) @ Texas Longhorns (+5.5)
- 6:30 PM CST on ABC
- LSU won 55-3 in Week 1 over Georgia Southern. QB Joe Burrow had himself a day in their offense throwing for 278 YDS and 5 TDs with just 4 incompletions. LSU was up 42-3 by half time.
- Texas on the other hand won 45-14 over Louisiana Tech. QB Sam Ehlinger threw for 276 YDs and 4 TDs, he also ran for 34 YDS on 8 caries.
- The passing yards were spread out yardage wise, nobody had over 60 but Devin Duvernay had 9 receptions for the Longhorns.
- LSU defense is great, that’s nothing new. But Texas other than Ehlinger doesn’t have much that scares you on offense, so far. Does Texas have the weapons on offense to help Ehlinger. If Ehlinger has to do everything in this game including running for 100 yards, then Texas is going to get smoked.
- Now Georgia Southern isn’t a very good team, but LSU only gave up 24 YDs passing and 74 YDs rushing. That is fucking impressive.
- The Texas defense against LA Tech from a pass rushing perspective, was not impressive. They only had one sack, and ZERO QB hurries. They better pick up that pace against the Longhorns or its going to be a long night for them.
- For LSU the new offense looked good against poor competition but Texas is another thing.
- The Texas defense is great but they’re going to put much more pressure on LSU to execute. Still, Texas allowed LA Tech to throw for 331 YDS. The way LSU looked last week it could be a long night for the Texas secondary.
- I like LSU to cover in this game. I hope Texas keeps this close and its a good game but I’ll take LSU to pull away late and win in that 8-12 point range.
Stanford Cardinal (-2.5) @ USC Trojans (+2.5)
- 9:30 PM CST on ESPN
- USC beat a good Fresno State team 31-23, however it was costly. USC lost their starting QB JT Daniels to an ACL injury for the year. In his absence, Kedon Slovis threw for 57 YDs and 1 INT.
- Notably USC is a running a new air raid offense led by new OC Graham Harrell. Slovis does have one of the best WR corps in the country to throw to though.
- Stanford beat Northwestern in a old fashioned Big Ten game 17-7.
- Stanford also lost their starting QB, for at least this game. KJ Costello won’t suit up against USC but Davis Mills will. Against NW Mills went 7 for 14 for 81 YDS.
- Stanford ran for 132 YDS against NW which has always been their bread and butter. That rush offense did sputter in the second half and Stanford also lost an All-American OL in Walker Little who will be out for about half the season.
- This will be a game of young backup QBs in LA which is awful for predicting this game.
- Stanford obviously has the much better defense in this match-up and they’ll lean on that defense to slow down USCs passing game.
- This game to me comes down to USC’s defense. I think USC’s offense will get their points even with a young QB. Can their defense get consistent stops to get their offense back the ball. If Stanford goes on these long drives where they are running the ball at 4, 5, 6 yards a clip and taking their time to get to the line, USC is in big trouble.
- I think this is going to be a very close ugly game. I’m throwing a dart at the wall here but I’ll take USC cover. Give me Stanford to win by 1. Can’t wait for this night cap.