- Oren Burks left the first pre-season game early against the Texans with a pectoral issue. At first it was diagnosed that he tore his pectoral muscle which would have most likely kept him out for the whole year. However, Burks got a second opinion and found out the injury is actually a hyper-extension of the muscle instead of a tear. That leaves Burks out for an unknown period of time.
- Burks was penciled in to be the starting LB opposite Blake Martinez but his injury is going to open the door for rookies Ty Summers and Curtis Bolton to get some time to play with the 1’s in practice and some of these pre-season games. Second year guy James Crawford will get some looks as well. You can click here to read my recap on some of these guys performances in the game against the Texans.
- With Kevin King and Josh Jackson out with injuries for much of training camp, Tony Brown has gotten a lot of playing time with the 1’s on defense. Brown got a lot of love from QB1 the other day when Rodgers had this to say about the undrafted CB from Alabama:
“He’s loud. I love Tony. Tony is a really great part of the locker room. … He’s just got a great personality and brings a great energy to our team. You don’t really have to get him wound up too much because when we’re out there he’s hyper-competitive and he’s playing really well. I give Tony a lot of credit. I think he’s continued to improve his entire time being here. What a lot of people don’t see, and I’m gonna brag on Tony here for a little bit, is when I’m leaving here some nights, Tony’s still working out. He’s still doing something back in the weight room or he’s watching something. He’s always working. This guy is here early and he leaves late, legitimately … I can vouch that Tony is usually probably the first one in here and one of the last to leave.”Aaron Rodgers on CB Tony Brown via video from Packers.com
- Packers HC Matt LaFleur was on Pardon My Take today and had a good interview. Click here to take a listen.
- Speaking of the coach, he said you can expect to see the first team offense for possibly the whole first quarter at the Ravens on Thursday Night.
- The Packers have signed a few guys for depth in these pre-season games, CB Derrick Jones was signed off waivers from the New York Jets, and FB Tommy Bohanan was added to the roster.
- With J’Mon Moore having a poor game 1, that opened the door for other WRs to make their case on the team. One guy whose been making the most of those opportunities in practice since then is Darrius Shepherd. Shepherd caught a TD against the Texans but has been building on that in practice since the game. He also has been returning punts with the absence of Trevor Davis. The WR battle is for the 4th, 5th, and 6th spots is going to be very tight.
- Aaron Rodgers was asked about the now infamous horn that was being blown in Lambeau during the Texans game to try and get the fans off their feet. LaFleur said the Packers were looking try some things to get the crowd louder when the opposing team is on offense, citing his time in Atlanta when Packer fans made the Falcons use a silent count while playing at home. Rodgers had this to say about the horn and what he thought could help with some noise:
“I didn’t really hear it… But I’m a fan, John (Kuhn) told me to say that… I mean I’m up for anything that’s gonna get the fans as loud as possible, so maybe slash some beer prices or something, might be a good idea.”Aaron Rodgers on getting the Packers fans louder via Packers.com
- There we have it, Aaron Rodgers is man of the people and knows his hometown fans. Slashing beer prices is the best idea I’ve heard in a long time. In fact, we should slash beer prices everywhere. The quote comes around the 13:30 mark in the video linked.
- Kicker Kaare Vedvik from the Ravens was traded to the Minnesota Vikings for a 5th round pick this week. What is interesting is that it was reported the Packers were also trying to acquire the kicker. Sam Ficken is currently in camp trying to win the job over Mason Crosby, which is a long shot at best. It is interesting that the Packers were willing to give up some assets for a kicker and just shows that Crosby may be on a shorter leash than usually in 2019.
- Lastly, here’s my top 5 things to watch in the game against the Baltimore Ravens tomorrow.
- Obvious first thing is the offense. This is going to be the starters first in game action in the new offense and we’ll see how crisp or how ugly they look. Don’t expect to see anything exotic but just watch to see how the team gets out of the huddle, pre-snap penalties, if Rodgers is one the same page with his WRs, and how the new OL run and pass blocks. Also, whose starting at LG?
- The Smith Brothers. We’re going to see the Packers two new pass rusher Za’Darius and Preston Smith on the field for the first time. These two are expected to come in and improve the Packers pass rush. Za’Darius has been getting a lot of headlines in practice lately but Preston has also impressed. Will be excited to watch these two in the Green and Gold for the first time.
- Whose gonna get Mike Daniel’s old role? Montravious Adams has made a big jump over the off season apparently, Tyler Lancaster’s play last year is probably a big reason why the Packers were okay with moving on from Daniels, and rookie Kingsley Keke has also impressed in camp. Look to see which one of those three guys is getting the most playing time in the first quarter. Also, don’t forget about second year guy James Looney.
- The WRs that play with the 1’s. I think it’s obvious right now the top three WRs for the Packers are Adams, GMO, and MVS. But whose else is going to get quality playing time in the first quarter with 1’s. I think EQ is a lock to make the team but after him we’ll see who gets the most playing time, if any, with 1’s between Jake Kumerow, J’Mon Moore, Darrius Shepherd, and Allen Lazard.
- Finally, the ILB battle. With Oren Burks out for a unknown time watch to see who the Packers trot out there with 1’s on defense. Does Ty Summers or Curtis Bolton get the start? Summers played very good in the first game but Bolton has apparently been getting time with the 1’s in practice because of his blitzing abilities.