Well the Packers looked like a crock pot of shit Sunday night, especially in the second half. Again, the Packers were in the game in the 4th quarter and lost. Again they had a fucking abysmal performance on offense in the second half. Again the defense played well enough for this team to win, even with all the injuries before and during the game. Again Aaron Jones and Davante Adams dominated the first half for the Packers and then all the sudden they disappeared in the second half. BUT NOT AGAIN, McCarthy went for it on 4th and 3, because he knows he will be out at the end of this year. I wonder what the numbers said in that situation?
Packers season is done, they need a miracle to make the playoffs. Here’s what they need:
I definitely see the Redskins losing two and the Eagles losing one. However, I don’t know about the Seahawks and Panthers losing two, and the Vikings losing three. Also, the Packers should win all the rest of their games besides the Bears game on the road. The Bears game on the road will be a huge game if the Packers win their next two at home, and some of those teams above lose a game or two. Regardless of what happens here, I think McCarthy is gone and the end of the year and he should be. Lets talk about how this team looked on Sunday Night.
- I’ve said it week after week, Rodgers is off. He is missing throws, throwing the ball away too much, and not hitting wide open guys. He looked great in the first half but again looked like crap in the second half. I don’t know why he isn’t performing to a level he expects, but Packers aren’t going on that run without him. You would have to think these things are being pointed out in film to Aaron, he has to be seeing this opportunities on the sidelines between series and at halftime. Below is an example where Rodgers took a sack where he had Jimmy Graham WIDE OPEN on a crossing route on a 3rd down play.
- Doesn’t need reminding, Aaron Jones is a stud. I hope he gets the opportunity down the stretch to hit 1,000 yards on the season. He needs to average 78.8 yards over the last 5 games of the year to reach 1,000. I think he can do it, especially if McCarthy sticks with him when we are up in the some games here during the second half.
- Also doesn’t need reminding. Davante Adams is a stud. Finally got his first 1,000 yard receiving season. Davante won’t lead the league in yards, but with Rodgers at QB and their great connection, he has good chance to lead the NFL in TD’s at the end of the year. Currently Adams has 10 TDS and he is one behind Eric Ebron (WTF), Travis Kelce, and Antonio Brown.
- The other WRs need to make more plays. Packers miss Cobb having him out there. ESQ had a good game and Rodgers showed some more trust in him. MVS disappeared in this game, he didn’t have much of an impact.
- Much like Jordy on the Packers, I wish the Packers had a deep shot or two to MVS built into the game plan. Not sure if teams are covering him differently, but he only has five targets the past two games, and only two of those turned into catches for 11 yards.
- Jimmy Graham had one nice drive. Would have been nice to see Green Bay go towards him more. Not sure Graham will be on the Packers next year, he might be realizing it could have been better to go back home to New Orleans rather than play with Rodgers. We’ll see what him and Green Bay decide after the season. Guy can still play.
- Loved seeing Mercedes Lewis get more snaps. He is the best run blocking TE this team has.
- Said it last week, GM Brian Gutekunst needs to address the O-Line in free agency and in the draft. Bulaga and Bakhtiari are great OT’s but these guys also seem to be banged up, Bulaga more often then Bakhtiari obviously. Linsley is solid as can be at center, but both guard positions need to be addressed. You have a Super Bowl quality QB for the next 4+ years, you have a 1,000 yard rusher, you need to get them a better offensive line.
- I don’t know what we can take from this game when the Packers had so many injuries on the defense. Here is what I know, Jaire Alexander will be a top CB in this league.
- Josh Jackson will be a solid player for the Packers, but I think he belongs back at safety where he can read the QB and play the ball. His lack of speed showed up on Sunday.
- I don’t think the Packers are going to make the playoffs, so I shut down Kevin King for the year and see what kind of player Tony Brown is. Throw him in the fire and see if he is a 3rd or 4th CB that can contribute next year. Alexander, King, Breeland would be a great start for the Packers CB next year. I think you move Jackson to safety, play Williams as the 4th CB or 3rd safety role and go after a Safety in the draft or Free Agency.
- Kenny Clark is a MAN.
- Packers desperately need pass rushing from the edge, and up the middle. This needs to be their first pick in the draft.
- Clay Matthews is again playing solid football. He’ll need to take a pay cut to stay on the Packers next year or he will be elsewhere.
- Fackrell is a guy the Packers can build on, but he is not a starting 3-4 OLB in this league.
This is the end of the Mike McCarthy era in Green Bay, as it should be. Packers had a chance to beat some good teams (Rams, Patriots, Seahawks, and Vikings) and save McCarthy’s job. Sadly for McCarthy, the Packers ineptitude to perform in the second half is going to get him fired and I think its the best for the Packers and for McCarthy. Much like Andy Reid in Philadelphia, his coaching has gotten stale and I don’t think the a lot of Packers are buying into what he is preaching. Time to go a new direction. If McCarthy loses to the Cardinals, he needs to be gone on Monday morning – no excuses. Other than that, I think he finishes out the year.
I’m gonna guess the Packers end this year 8-7-1, I think they lose at least one more game this year. It is a very sad and disappointing season for them. The defense made strides and will be much better next year – hopefully Pettine is coming back, but the offense and coaching let this team and it’s fan down this year. Obviously, I will be hoping the Packers pull out a playoff appearance, but I just don’t see four of those five scenarios I mentioned in the opening happening.